It's really that simple...
* One Great Story
* Multiple Readings
* Fun & Educational Follow-up Activities
Beyond the Book
Each Beyond the Book Download Includes:
Important Note: This download does not include the book, only the resources listed above. The book may be purchased separately by clicking here.
Limited Time Only - Regular Price is $3.99
Click HERE to see what's included with each download purchased.
Please note that you are purchasing the resources only.
How to "Read it Again"
1. The first time you read the book, try to read it all the way through without stopping.
2. After reading, go back into the story and ask your child to tell you what the story was about or ask your child to explain what's happening within of specific illustrations.
3. Over the course of the next week, try to fit in two to three more readings of the book. It's okay to read the book multiple times a day... we actually encourage it! After each subsequent reading, ask comprehension questions.
4. Consider taking your child's learning to the next level by purchasing the our Beyond the Book Resources. Each download ($2.99) includes multiple educational activities created specifically for that book.
5. It’s within this layering of reading and follow-up activities that the real magic happens.
Why I Love This Book
When I was a child, this sweet book was a part of my own personal library. First published in 1930, it's truly stood the test of time. "I think I can, I think I can..." is a common chant to most adults and it's a bit of self-talk that we should probably teach all children.
Fun Fact: The author's actual name was Arnold Munk rather than Watty Piper. He was one of the owners of Platt & Munk the company that actually first published the book.
Actions Speak Louder than Words
Awards & Accolades
NEA Teachers' Top 100 Books for Children
This book offers multiple opportunities for learning that go far beyond what's printed on the page or seen in the illustrations. Here's a small sample:
Little Engine Themed Toys
Adding an element of play is yet another way to deepen the understanding of the concepts introduced within the multiple readings of the story. You'll be surprised at the amount of learning that's transferred and reinforced through imaginative play.
Click an image to learn more.
Why I Love These Specific Playthings:
Please note that these are affiliate links.
If you purchase anything through any of my links, you won't pay a penny more, but I'll make a small commission which helps me keep the lights on.
Wooden Train Set
"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents." — Emilie Buchwald